Your Comprehensive Guide to RV Mattress Sizes
Posted: January 22, 2024
Categories: Buying Guides & Reviews
Your Comprehensive Guide to RV Mattress Sizes
Embarking on an RV adventure brings excitement and new experiences, but one aspect often overlooked is the importance of a comfortable mattress. RV mattress sizes can be a bit tricky, and getting the right fit is crucial for a good night's sleep on the road. In this post, we'll unravel the mystery of RV mattress sizes, exploring dimensions, pros, cons and answering frequently asked questions new and seasoned RVers have about mattress sizes for their rigs.
A Quick Comparison of Different RV Mattress Sizes
RV mattresses come in various sizes to accommodate different preferences and space constraints. From the spacious king to the compact bunk, each size has its own unique features and benefits. Let's dive into the specifics of each size to help you make an informed decision when you’re ready to buy a new mattress for your RV.
RV King Mattress
The royal treatment of mattresses, the RV King size mattress offers ample space for a truly comfortable sleep. With dimensions of 76" x 80", it's perfect for those who prioritize luxury on the road.
RV Narrow King Mattress
For RVers who desire a King feel but have limited space, the Narrow King is the ideal compromise. Measuring 72" x 80", it strikes the perfect balance between comfort and functionality.
King vs. Narrow King
Diving deeper into the King vs. Narrow King sizes, let’s explore the nuances of each, helping you decide which one suits your RV lifestyle best.
- King (76" x 80"): The King RV mattress reigns supreme in spaciousness, providing an expansive sleep surface with dimensions of 76 inches in width and 80 inches in length. Ideal for RVers who prioritize indulgence and have ample space, the King ensures you have room to stretch out and enjoy a truly regal slumber.
- Narrow King (72" x 80"): On the other hand, the Narrow King strikes a balance between comfort and space optimization. With a width of 72 inches and the same length as the King, it is trimmed down a bit to accommodate tighter RV quarters. It's a practical choice for those who want a more spacious feel than traditional sizes without sacrificing too much weight. The Narrow King is a savvy solution for RVers who seek a luxurious sleep experience with a touch of practicality.
In essence, the choice between King and Narrow King boils down to your preference for space and the layout of your RV. If you have the room and crave an expansive sleeping space, the King is your go-to. However, if space optimization is key without compromising too much on comfort, the Narrow King offers a splendid compromise.
RV Queen Mattress
A popular choice among RV owners, the standard Queen mattress offers a comfortable compromise between space and practicality. With dimensions of 60" x 80", it's a versatile option for various RV setups.
RV Short Queen Mattress
Perfect for RVs with limited space, the short queen provides a snug fit without sacrificing comfort. Measuring 60" x 75", it's 5 inches shorter and a space-saving solution for a good night's sleep.
Queen vs. Short Queen
The Queen and Short Queen sizes cater to different spatial constraints, ensuring you get the ideal balance of comfort and room to move within your RV. Let's explore the differences in dimensions to guide you in making the right choice for your setup.
- Queen (60" x 80"): The Queen RV mattress size strikes a harmonious balance between spaciousness and practicality. With dimensions of 60 inches in width and 80 inches in length, it provides a comfortable sleeping surface without overwhelming your RV space. It's a versatile choice for various RV setups, offering a cozy haven for a good night's sleep.
- Short Queen (60" x 75"): Designed for rigs with limited sleep space, the RV Short Queen mattress optimizes dimensions while maintaining comfort. With a width that measures 60 inches and a slightly reduced length of 75 inches, it ensures a snug fit without sacrificing too much space. It's a lightweight option suitable for those who prioritize space efficiency and maneuverability within the RV.
The Queen and Short Queen mattress sizes cater to different RV layouts and preferences. If you have ample space and want a standard-sized mattress, the Queen is an excellent choice. However, if your RV has spatial constraints, the Short Queen offers a smart solution, ensuring a comfortable sleep experience without compromising your already limited sleeping area.
RV Full Mattress
The Full RV mattress is a space-efficient and comfortable choice with dimensions of 53" x 75" or 54" x 75", well-suited for smaller RVs. Just one inch narrower than a standard Full, at-home mattress, it strikes a balance between maximizing sleeping space and ensuring a snug fit within the confines of your RV.
RV Bunk Bed Mattress
Tailored for bunk beds in RVs, the Bunk mattress is designed with space efficiency in mind. With various common measurements such as 28" x 75", 30" x 75", 30" x 80", 32" x 74", 34" x 75", and 35" x 79", these mattresses are customized to fit snugly into bunk bed compartments in family-friendly RVs. The Bunk RV mattress size exemplifies efficiency and flexibility, making it an ideal choice for family adventures on the road.
How to Measure for an RV Mattress
Avoid the pitfalls of ordering the wrong size by learning how to measure your RV bed accurately. The steps below will help ensure you get the right dimensions on the first try!
- Identify the Space: RV mattresses snugly fit into unique spaces, especially in bunk areas. To embark on your quest for a high-quality RV mattress replacement, you'll need a measuring tape. Record dimensions, including length, width and height, taking note of any peculiarities in your bunk setup.
- If you already have a standard mattress that fits well, measure it to determine the right dimensions.
- For an empty bed frame, measure the perimeter, keeping in mind any adjustments for a comforter or mattress topper. If there's a height limitation, measure to determine the required height.
- All three dimensions — length, width and height — are crucial when selecting a new mattress.
- Find Your Size: Simply refer to our size chart below to find your perfect fit. Whether it's a Queen, King or another size, the chart helps provide clarity.
- Select Your Mattress: Congratulations! You’ve found the ideal mattress for your space, and now all you have to do is buy it!
|76" x 80"
|72" x 80"
|60" x 80"
|60" x 75"
|53" x 75" or 54" x 75"
|28"-35" x 75"-80"
What are RV Bed Extenders?
Okay, so maybe you didn’t choose quite the right mattress size, and your mattress is leaving much to be desired when it comes to the length. That’s where RV bed extenders come in.
A game-changer for enhancing the sleeping experience in your RV, these innovative solutions allow you to convert a shorter RV mattress into a larger, more accommodating bed, providing extra room for optimal nighttime comfort.
The process of inserting a bed extender is simple: insert the bed extender between the headboard and mattress — that’s it! You can instantly transform a Short Queen RV mattress into a full-size Queen. Available in various lengths, bed extenders allow you to customize the extension to meet your specific needs. This ensures a roomier sleeping surface, making it particularly beneficial for taller campers who require additional space to comfortably sleep in an RV bed.
Bed extenders offer a practical and effective way to address the constraints of limited mattress size, turning your RV sleeping quarters into a more spacious and comfortable haven.
FAQs About RV Mattress Sizes
Q: How are RV mattresses measured?
A: RV mattresses are measured vertically (top to bottom) using a measuring tape to determine the length. Width is measured horizontally (side to side). Measure from the bottom surface to the top surface to determine the depth.
Q: How do I find the right size mattress for my RV?
A: To find the perfect size mattress, either measure the bed space where your mattress will go or, if you’re replacing an already perfectly sized mattress, measure your old mattress.
Q: Can I use regular mattresses in my RV?
A: Yes, standard mattress sizes and home mattresses are sometimes used in RVs, although characteristics of RV mattresses, like shape, thickness and weight, help mattresses specifically designed for RVs fit your space better.
Q: What type of mattress is best for RVs?
A: The best mattress for RVs depends on your preferences, but generally, long-lasting, hypoallergenic and compact mattresses are suitable.
Q: How often should I replace my RV mattress?
A: The lifespan of an RV mattress can vary depending on factors such as the quality of the mattress, usage and personal preferences. On average, RV mattresses may last anywhere from 5 to 10 years. However, it's essential to consider signs of wear and tear, such as sagging, lumps or discomfort, as indicators that it might be time for a replacement. Additionally, if you notice any damage or if the mattress is affecting your sleep quality, it's advisable to replace it sooner. Regularly inspecting and assessing the condition of your RV mattress can help you determine when it's time for a new one.